With Fresh Heirs starting halfway through the year, recapping everything that has happened so far in 2010 would be a little unreasonable and a little tedious. So instead, we’re bringing you recaps from the staff that show what caught each writer’s eye so far in 2010, providing a little snapshot as we move into the future. Here’s Marc’s view:
Top 5 Albums of 2010
5. Sleigh Bells – Treats
4. Woods – At Echo Lake
3. Twin Sister – Color Your Life
2. Joanna Newsom – Have One on Me
1. Beach House – Teen Dream
Top 5 Songs of 2010
5. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists – Bottled in Cork – The Brutalist Bricks
4. Beach House – Love of Mine – Teen Dream
3. Twin Sister – All Around and Away We Go – Color Your Life
2. Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Round and Round – Before Today
1. Joanna Newsom – Good Intentions Paving Company – Have One on Me
Best Set of 2010
-Ted Leo and the Pharmacists at Irving Plaza in New York, NY
This was basically the perfect Ted Leo set. It almost makes me think I never HAVE to see Ted Leo again –though I most likely will. Many more times!
Best Show of 2010
-The Coathangers/Past Lives/The Thermals at The Space in Hamden, CT
The Coathangers are the craziest most whacked out opening band I have ever seen! Also I got to interview The Thermals for my college’s radio station and The Thermals’ label Kill Rock Stars reposted the link. Over 400 people have listened to me interview my favorite band before this show. How cool is that?
Best New Artist
So far I haven’t heard anything coming even close to resembling a bad song from Twin Sister. Color Your Life is a 6 song EP but is 3rd on my “Top 5 Albums” list with good reason.
– All of the things I picked here are colored by my own experiences and memories associated with these shows, sets, songs and albums. For example, at the Thermals show in Hamden I was able to interview my favorite band and then stand front row with a bunch of my favorite people and go crazy during an absolutely fantastic set. Beach House’s Teen Dream got me through my last winter of college. My girlfriend bought me Have One on Me on vinyl for a graduation present. Treats by Sleigh Bells soundtrack-ed god knows how many dance parties, and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve belted the lyrics to “Bottled in Cork” with friends. Meanwhile Twin Sister has fast become a new obsession. For all of this new blog’s contributors 2010 has been a pretty important year in our lives. No matter how the rest of this year in music turns out we’re going to look at it through that lens. I’m optimistic it will be as great as the first half!